Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Super Shake Question

Song: Ode to Sleep...Twenty-One Pilots

This band, I like it. Even though I broke the pattern of lyrics as title.

My favorite thing about working at Potbelly is what I call the "super shake question."

We have to ask three questions at the first station in Potbelly:
1) Would you like a Big or Original size?
2) Would you like that on Regular White or Multigrain Wheat bread?
3) Would you like any soup or shakes with that today?

WOAH. HOLD THE PHONE. Say the last one aloud.

Customers be like,

 "...bitch did you say super shakes?"

I shit you not, one guy was in the process of telling me no before I even finished the question until he heard the "super shake" part. His eyes got wide and he said to me,

"What's a super shake?"

I politely replied, like the good, upselling Potbelly employee that I am,

"Well, all of our shakes are super! But they're made just the same as they always are."

Him, almost relieved (?): "Ooh, okay. I thought y'all got some new somethin'."

This is the most memorable, but by no means, the only experience like this that I have had with the super shake question. People get so shocked by the possible existence of shakes that are super. It's really funny to watch. On days that I don't feel like dealing with people, I've learned to modify the question and ask if they'd  "like any shakes or soup with that today." On other days, I say it with as little separation between words as possible so I can watch their reations.

"DID SHE JUST SAY SUPERSHAKE?"

YOU BET YOUR SWEET ASS.

FUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS (thanks Jake), THESE SHAKES ARE...

O.O SUPER.

No comments: